Universal Visa – Study & Settle Abroad

Business Innovation stream

This visa lets holders of the Business Innovation and Investment (Provisional) visa (subclass 188) in the Business Innovation stream or the Business Innovation Extension stream, or holders of a subclass 444 (Special Category) visa, or certain holders of a subclass 457 (Business (Long Stay) visa, stay permanently.

With this visa, you can

  • stay in Australia permanently
  • work and study in Australia
  • enrol in Australia’s public health care scheme, Medicare
  • sponsor your relatives to come to Australia
  • travel to and from Australia for 5 years
  • if eligible apply for Australian citizenship

Newly arrived residents may have to wait before they can access certain Australian Government payments and benefits.

How long you can stay

This is a permanent visa. It lets you stay in Australia permanently.

For citizenship purposes, your permanent residency starts on the day:

  • we grant the visa if you are in Australia
  • you enter Australia on this visa if you are outside Australia when we grant this visa

Include family

You can include members of the family unit in your application when you apply. You can also add children to your application at any time before we decide on your application.

Family members who apply for the visa must meet our health and character requirements.

Family members who are not coming to Australia might also have to meet our health and character requirements..

Apply from

You can be in or outside Australia when you apply for the visa and when we decide on your application but not in immigration clearance.

Processing times

We process:

  • 75% of applications in Unavailable due to low volume of applications.
  • 90% of applications in Unavailable due to low volume of applications.

Your application may take longer to process if:

  • you do not complete the application form correctly
  • you do not include all the documents we need or we need more information from you
  • it takes us time to verify your information

We can’t process your application if you do not pay the correct visa application charge. We will notify you if this is the case and if necessary return your application.

Your obligations

You and your family members must obey all Australian laws.

If you are outside Australia when we grant the visa:

  • you and your family members must enter Australia by a certain date (we will tell you when this is)
  • any family members included in your application might not be able to marry or enter into a de facto relationship before they enter Australia (we will tell you if this is the case)


Travel to and from Australia for 5 years

You can travel to and from Australia as many times as you want for 5 years from the date we grant this visa. This is as long as the travel facility on this visa remains valid.

If you want to travel after the initial 5-year travel facility:

  • you will need to apply for and be granted a Resident Return (RRV) so that you can re-enter Australia as a permanent resident
  • you might also want to consider Australian citizenship. If you become an Australian citizen, you don’t require a visa to enter Australia. You will need to apply for an Australian passport and use it to leave and re-enter Australia. See more about eligibility requirements and current processing times for Australian citizenship

If you leave Australia after the expiry date of your travel facility, without being granted another permanent visa with a valid travel facility, for example a Resident Return (RRV), you will not be able to return to Australia as a permanent resident.

To see when your travel facility ends, use VEVO.

Visa label

Australian visas are digital.

We do not put a visa label in your passport. Instead, we link your digital visa record to your passport.