Remaining Relative visa Sub Class 835
This permanent visa lets people stay in Australia to be with their only close family members.
With this visa you can
- stay in Australia indefinitely
- work and study in Australia
- enrol in Australia’s public healthcare scheme, Medicare
- sponsor your relatives to come to Australia
- if eligible apply for Australian citizenship
Travel to and from Australia for 5 years
You can travel to and from Australia as many times as you want for 5 years from the date we grant this visa. This is as long as the travel facility on this visa remains valid.
If you want to travel after the initial 5-year travel facility:
- you will need to apply for and be granted a Resident Return (RRV) so that you can re-enter Australia as a permanent resident
- you might also want to consider Australian citizenship. If you become an Australian citizen, you don’t require a visa to enter Australia. You will need to apply for an Australian passport and use it to leave and re-enter Australia. See more about eligibility requirements and current processing times for Australian citizenship
To see when your travel facility ends, use VEVO.
How long you can stay
This is a permanent visa. It lets you stay in Australia indefinitely.
For citizenship purposes, your permanent residence starts on the day we grant the visa.
You can include members of the family unit in your application when you apply. You can also add them to your application at any time before we make a decision.
You must be in Australia when you apply and when we decide on your application.
We don’t provide processing times for this visa. Applications for this visa are subject to capping and queueing.
Your application might take longer to process if:
- you do not fill it in correctly
- you do not include all the documents we need or we need more information from you
- it takes us time to verify your information
We can’t process your application if you don’t pay the correct visa application charge. We will notify you if this is the case and if necessary return your application.
Family migration visas are in high demand. It might take many years for this visa to be granted.
We assess applications for this visa in 2 stages.
- Check eligibility and either add the application to the queue or refuse it.
- Continue assessing the application when a place becomes available and make a decision.
Don’t arrange to move to Australia until we grant the visa. We will let you know in writing if we grant you the visa.
You and your family members must obey all Australian laws.
We will digitally link your visa to your passport. You will not get a label in your passport.