SKILLED REGIONAL VISA
(SUB CLASS 887)
This visa is for people who have lived and worked in specified areas of regional Australia on a previous, eligible visa.
With this visa you can
- Stay in Australia permanently
- Work and study in Australia
- Enrol in Australia’s public health care scheme, Medicare
- Sponsor your relatives to come to Australia
- Travel to and from Australia for 5 years
- If eligible, apply for Australian citizenship
Newly arrived residents may have to wait before they can access certain Australian Government payments and benefits.
How long can you stay
This is a permanent visa. It lets you stay in Australia indefinitely.
The visa has a travel component that expires 5 years after the date of visa grant.
For citizenship purposes, your permanent residence starts on the day we grant the visa if you are in Australia.
You can include members of the family unit in your application if they currently hold an eligible visa. You must include each family member who is eligible to apply for this visa at the time you lodge your application. You can’t add family members after you have submitted your application.
You can include family members who no longer meet the standard definition of member of the family unit provided they hold an eligible visa that was granted on the basis that they were a member of your family unit. This provision would apply, for example, if you want to include a child in your application who has turned 23 years of age since they were granted an eligible visa.
Family members included in your application must meet our health and character requirements. Family members not accompanying you to Australia may also need to meet our health and character requirements.
If you have a child who was born in Australia since you were granted your current visa you must tell us about your child before you lodge this application. Find out what to do if your child is born after we granted your current visa. If we have not linked your child’s current visa to their passport you will be unable to lodge their application online.
You must be in Australia when you apply for this visa. You must also be in Australia for the grant of this visa.
We assess applications on a case-by-case basis, and actual processing times can vary due to individual circumstances including:
- Whether you have lodged a complete application, including all necessary supporting documents
- How quickly you respond to any requests for additional information
- How long it takes to perform required checks on the supporting information provided
- How long it takes to receive additional information from external agencies, particularly in relation to health, character, and national security requirements
- How many places are available in the migration program
You and your family must follow Australian laws.
You can travel in and out of Australia as many times as you want for 5 years from the date we grant the visa. After 5 years you will need a Resident Return (RRV) to re-enter Australia as a permanent resident.
We will digitally link your visa to your passport. You will not get a label in your passport.